Sustaining Growth through Municipal Engineering
What was the City of Columbus's issue or challenge?
Attract businesses. Attract residents. All with a balanced approach that supports Sustainable Engineering. The City of Columbus, WI had always outsourced their municipal engineering and was looking for a firm who could be a strong, long-term and objective partner.
How did R/M assist Columbus in solving the problem?
We work with the City of Columbus to support their day-to-day engineering needs, as well as support the City’s long-term goals. Our municipal engineering is not always facts and figures—it’s about supporting the City in their quest to attract developers through fair, consistent ordinances. In addition to standards and ordinance rewrites, we assist Columbus with:
- Developmental team meetings
- Plan commission
- Safe Routes to Schools task force and development
- Sustainable infrastructure projects
- Energy Studies
How has Columbus benefited in their Municipal Engineering?
As part of the Municipal Engineering team in Columbus, we have worked together to build on past successes and attract new businesses. With a strong focus on sustainable engineering, Columbus is recognized as an energy independent community which provides:
- Additional access to state and federal funding
- Increased technical assistance from state and federal agencies
- Improved energy efficiency, creating additional savings and capital availability for budgeting
We have made these municipal engineering accomplishments through:
- LED streetlighting
- Electric vehicle plug-ins
- Reuse of structures or materials
- Pump station removal
- Storm water management
- Energy efficient equipment replacement